Which QB should we get?

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    Ice
    Keymaster

Which vet QB would you aquire?

• Alex Smith for a 3rd round pick (56%, 5 Votes)
    • Cousins for a buttload of money and not drafting a 1st round QB (11%, 1 Votes)
    • Sam Bradford (0%, 0 Votes)
    • Teddy Bridgewater (22%, 2 Votes)
    • Josh McCown (0%, 0 Votes)
    • Matt Moore or Ryan Fitzpatrick (0%, 0 Votes)
    • None (0%, 0 Votes)
    • Other (11%, 1 Votes)

Total Voters: 9

Loading ... Loading ...

Sound off here.

soup
    Participant

Alex Smith, the Gen I’d use the 1st overall on Rosen.

Freedom!!!

GABrownsFan
    Participant

I voted for Alex, I’d also consider Drew Stanton, who I think will be available as a free agent.

mike barnes
    Participant

Smith would be nice but the more I think about it Bridgewater or Bradford would cost you nothing really I mean heck draft picks on day two are useful to have.

Shooter

This is a shitty, incomplete list to choose from. No Case Keenum?

Eli isn’t even on the board eh? I know it’s a reach but if we’re gonna play fucking pretend let’s put all the goddamn cards on the table like Monopoly and start from the fucking beginning here, Jesus………

We have no Ryan Tannehill here, no Tyrod Taylor. AJ McCarron is all sorts of absent I mean come one here Ice what kind of shit is this man? If you’re discussing the possibilities of veteran QB acquisitions this limited dogshit list blows.

For shit sakes Bortles’ contract is up. How is Blake Bortles left off here?

Ice
    Keymaster

This is a shitty, incomplete list to choose from. No Case Keenum?
    Eli isn’t even on the board eh? I know it’s a reach but if we’re gonna play fucking pretend let’s put all the goddamn cards on the table like Monopoly and start from the fucking beginning here, Jesus………
    We have no Ryan Tannehill here, no Tyrod Taylor. AJ McCarron is all sorts of absent I mean come one here Ice what kind of shit is this man? If you’re discussing the possibilities of veteran QB acquisitions this limited dogshit list blows.
    For shit sakes Bortles’ contract is up. How is Blake Bortles left off here?

Fucking “OTHER”. “OTHER” bitch. “OTHER”
    OTHER!!!!

Ice
    Keymaster

I’m surprised that most want Alex Smith for a 3rd instead of going for Cousins. Getting Cousins saves us a top 5 draft pick that could be an amazing DB or the next Adrian Peterson and also removes all the risk of a QB busting in the NFL. Cousins has proven himself at this level.

That said… yeah, Alex Smith.

Shooter

Fucking “OTHER”. “OTHER” bitch. “OTHER”
    OTHER!!!!

I swear a lot when I’m hammered.

And I was hammered when I wrote that lmao. Ahh, drunk typing, how I miss thee, it’s been such a long time.

DawgSoldier
    Participant

Kase Keenum or Bradford who ever is let go the Vikings.

A Traded for Alex Smith whom you have the cap space then to to transition or franchise tag if need be till the drafted QB…presumably Darnold is ready.

http://cloudassetserver.com/STL/posts/185/sp_04_976x0.jpg

soup
    Participant

Kase Keenum or Bradford who ever is let go the Vikings.
    A Traded for Alex Smith whom you have the cap space then to to transition or franchise tag if need be till the drafted QB…presumably Darnold is ready.

I wouldn’t touch Bradford, solely because when he sneezes he goes on the IR.

Freedom!!!

DawgPoundDude
    Participant

Surprised nobody’s mentioning Carr, either (assuming Gruden lets him go).

soup
    Participant

In June he signed a $125 million extension. Releasing him would kill their cap.

Freedom!!!

Shooter

Not to mention that Gruden loves him.

DawgPoundDude
    Participant

In June he signed a $125 million extension. Releasing him would kill their cap.

Oh. Duh, I even remembered reading this a while back. This is what happens when you browse click-bait “what-ifs” and just read headlines. Something along the lines of him and Gruden not getting along.

You’re right, their cap would be fucked, but a trade would be possible (though highly unlikely). In either case, nevermind. Wouldn’t be worth what they would ask.

soup
    Participant

Not to mention that Gruden loves him.

Find a QB Gruden doesn’t love. Can’t wait until that deal is finalized so I don’t have to hear him anymore. One of the worst announcers of all time.

Freedom!!!

the dude
    Participant

None of those players would want to come to cleveland. Long shot would be like a teddy bridgewater.

Hue Jackson is a loser.

mike barnes
    Participant

Heck I’d take Bridgewater or Keenum or just about anyone who’d help.

Shooter

Can’t wait until that deal is finalized so I don’t have to hear him anymore. One of the worst announcers of all time.

I thought he was great. I know that he was very well respected in the booth.

soup
    Participant

Can’t wait until that deal is finalized so I don’t have to hear him anymore. One of the worst announcers of all time.

I thought he was great. I know that he was very well respected in the booth.

I loathed him. His face annoys me and every QB, no matter who it was, “I like this kid.” Could’ve been after an 83 interception game. Not that it matters, but I now hope the Raiders are a 4 win team until his contract is up.

Freedom!!!

Dawg E. Dawg
    Participant

This is an interesting question to me, because it’s something the Browns have screwed up repeatedly, and it’s something that on the surface seems easy, but in reality is pretty difficult. Let’s look at it.

First, if you want to bring in a QB to play while the young guy learns, he has to be good enough to keep the young guy on the bench. This is where we went wrong with bringing in Ty Detmer to mentor Tim Couch, and this knocks out Matt Moore and Ryan Fitzpatrick.

Second, if your mentor qb has to be available to play to keep the rookie on the bench. Jake Delhomme and RG3 are the most recent examples. As soup already mentioned, Bradford has a history of injuries, and McCown already went down that road once with the Browns. No thanks.

With the 3 guys you have left, you’re bringing them in for very different reasons. Smith is a great option to be a mentor if he’s willing. Cousins you’re bringing in the be face of the franchise, and Bridge, I think, would be competing with the 1st overall pick to be the franchise guy.

I like Cousins and I think he’s under appreciated and gotten a raw deal in Washington. That said, I don’t like him enough to pay the kind of money he’ll get. A QB is most valuable if he’s a top 5-8 qb, or an above average qb in his rookie deal with a low cap number (Flacco and Russell Wilson proved that). Cousins is neither, though he certainly views himself as elite and will get a commensurate contract. I’ll pass and take my chances with the 1st overall pick.

Teddy is a risk. How heathy is that knee, and how much has he learned from the bench? Who knows. I like him a lot and liked him in the draft, but i don’t view him as a mentor. He’s too young and will want to compete to resurrect his own career.

All that said, Smith is the only real option if you want a guy to mentor the draft pick. He can win 6-7 games, keep the young guy on the bench, and be easy to move on from when we’re done. Eli Manning, Blaine Gabbert, and Jay Cutler could be guys that would fit the role as well,
    With varying degrees of availability and talent.

You know the guy that would be perfect? Colin Kaeprnick. Could play well enough to keep the rookie in the bench, and he’d be REAL easy to move on from. That said, I don’t like the guy for obvious reasons, and the media circus and fan backlash from signing him would be INSANE. So he gets a hard pass from me. But he would be perfect.

BillWunkle
    Participant

Alex Smith is the best free agent QB option, and I’ll tell you why . . .
    His regular season record is 88-62-1 (.583).
    Kirk Cousins regular season record is 26-30-1 (.456).
    If you want Smith, it’ll likely cost you your 3rd round pick, and his 2018 salary is 14.6 mil + another 2.5 in roster and workout bonuses for a total of 17.1 mil.
    Kirk Cousins is going to demand closer to 30 mil per year (and maybe more) over the next 5 years minimum. Are you willing to invest a bare minimum of 150 mil on a veteran starting QB with a sub-500 record? Maybe you are, but I’m not. Even the team that drafted him doesn’t want to make a long-term commitment because they’ve franchise tagged him two consecutive seasons. The only advantage that Cousins has over Smith is that he’s got youth on his side. Now is Cousins better than anyone the Browns have had since 1999? Of course, but I’m not drinking the Kirk Cousins Kool-Aid.

And for anyone who thinks that signing Colin Kaepernick to fill the starting QB position . . . WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU SMOKING?!!!!!!!! THERE’S NO WAY THAT I’M SIGNING THAT NUT JOB OF A CIRCUS SIDE SHOW!!!!!

Am I going mad, or did the word THINK escape your lips? You were not hired for your brains, you hippopotamic landmass!

soup
    Participant

What Wunkle said on Cousins and Smith. Spot on. Only the reason I don’t touch Kaep is that he’s not a good QB.

Freedom!!!

Shooter

And for anyone who thinks that signing Colin Kaepernick to fill the starting QB position . . . WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU SMOKING?!!!!!!!! THERE’S NO WAY THAT I’M SIGNING THAT NUT JOB OF A CIRCUS SIDE SHOW!!!!!

Is that based on talent and production, or the kneeling?

Ice
    Keymaster

There are plenty of players in the NFL who are kneeling and still have their job. Kaepernick is out of the NFL because he’s not a good football player.

Shooter

There are plenty of players in the NFL who are kneeling and still have their job. Kaepernick is out of the NFL because he’s not a good football player.

I strongly dispute that. When I see Ryan Fitzpatrick, Blaine Gabbert, Geno Smith, T.J. Yates, Trevor Siemien, and a few others starting at QB in the NFL week in and week out, I know for a fact Kap has no job because of the kneeling. Is he a face of the franchise-level QB? No. Is he ten times better than players like Ryan Fitzpatrick or Geno Smith? Hell yes he is.

BillWunkle
    Participant

Shooter posed the question: Is that based on talent and production, or the kneeling?

No one can deny Colin Kaepernick’s incredible athletic ability. However, by the time his tenure in San Francisco was coming to an end, he’d become an ineffective one-receiver-look-then-scramble QB that was incapable of going through his progressions inside the pocket; and thus incapable of beating the opposing defense from inside said pocket. Why is this? It’s because he – in spite of his athletic ability – in incapable of reading an NFL defense, and NFL defenses exposed him as such a player.

The very idea that Kaepernick was the victim of white supremacist Neo-Nazis, particularly as a young black male adopted by a white married couple, is utter lunacy. If he TRULY wants to combat the mistreatment of blacks across America and around the world; then perhaps he needs to cease from turning a blind eye to the ideology of Islam, which is the ONLY so-called “religion” that endorses and still practices the buying and selling of slaves. In fact, it was Muslims that began the African slave industry.

Back to football . . . Yes, there is a dearth of quality QB’s in the NFL. That said, owners and GM’s – on top of his inherent flaws that hinder him from playing the position – don’t want the circus side show from the world media coming to their organization. If you’re not shedding a positive light for the organization with your off the field actions and media quotes, then you’re an embarrassment to the organization that’s paying you millions of dollars. And, as such, you deserve to have your contract terminated with justifiable cause.

Am I going mad, or did the word THINK escape your lips? You were not hired for your brains, you hippopotamic landmass!

Shooter

No one can deny Colin Kaepernick’s incredible athletic ability. However, by the time his tenure in San Francisco was coming to an end, he’d become an ineffective one-receiver-look-then-scramble QB that was incapable of going through his progressions inside the pocket; and thus incapable of beating the opposing defense from inside said pocket. Why is this? It’s because he – in spite of his athletic ability – in incapable of reading an NFL defense, and NFL defenses exposed him as such a player.

In his final season at QB in San Fran when he started 11 games, he put up better stats than a number of starting QB’s in the league.

The very idea that Kaepernick was the victim of white supremacist Neo-Nazis, particularly as a young black male adopted by a white married couple, is utter lunacy.

I’m stunned by this quote in that I have absolutely no idea what you are even talking about here. How was he a victim of neo nazis? What does this even reference, I’m totally lost by this statement and as a result have no idea how to even respond.

If he TRULY wants to combat the mistreatment of blacks across America and around the world; then perhaps he needs to cease from turning a blind eye to the ideology of Islam,

Wow. I kind of don’t even know where to begin on this one. Let’s start with a few basic questions here. Are you saying that Muslims are somehow responsible for police brutality? Are you also saying that Kapernick is muslim? Further, are you suggesting that if he were a muslim, that that in and of itself would preclude him from being allowed to participate in social justice causes or for standing up for the rights of minorities?

which is the ONLY so-called “religion” that endorses and still practices the buying and selling of slaves.

#1 Islam is not a “so-called” religion. It is a religion practiced throughout the world and has more followers than Christianity, so, I hate to break it you, but it’s a very real religion.

#2, I have not seen anything anywhere that states that Islam and the muslims that practice it are openly endorsing and engaging in the buying and selling of people as slaves. Further, human trafficking in both slavery and the sex trade are rife and flourish throughout the world by all manner of people and religions. Singling out one particular group and proclaiming them as advocating it is at best, factually inaccurate and purposefully disparaging, and hateful and agenda-ridden at worst.

I have no idea the correlation being drawn here between Colin Kaepnick’s protest against police brutality and racial inequalities in America, and the tenets of Islam and their views on slavery. You’re gonna have to help clarify that for me.

Dawg E. Dawg
    Participant

I’m gonna stick to the football side of the conversation. I brought up Kaepernick in my late night drunken stupor because it struck me that it would be the perfect situation AFTER the media circus and fan outrage blows over. One of the worst things about transitioning to a young QB is when the coach pulls him in and out and fans get divided on which QB they want, so there’s cheering/booing towards their own QB during games. (see Couch, Tim). With Kaep, once he gets pulled nobody would be yelling to put him back in. Thats what would be great about it.

You can hate on Kaepernick all you want, but look at his stats with the 49ers in 2016 compared to Hoyer’s and Beathards in 2017. That alone shows you that Kaepernick should be in the league, as he was better than either of the other 2 mentioned and would have easily been top QB on their depth chart.

All that said, I want no part of the Browns signing him, simply because of the media circus, and putting unnecessary focus on a temporary QB. While I don’t think it’s right that he’s not in the NFL because of a peaceful protest, there are other players that were booted unceremoniously out of the NFL prematurely because of media attention in the past, so Kaepernick knew what he was getting into and has nobody to blame but himself.

soup
    Participant

I strongly dispute that. When I see Ryan Fitzpatrick, Blaine Gabbert, Geno Smith, T.J. Yates, Trevor Siemien, and a few others starting at QB in the NFL week in and week out, I know for a fact Kap has no job because of the kneeling. Is he a face of the franchise-level QB? No. Is he ten times better than players like Ryan Fitzpatrick or Geno Smith? Hell yes he is.

How much money does Kaep want? Does he even truly want to play? You do know in March he opted out of his contract on his own right?

Freedom!!!

Shooter

How much money does Kaep want?

Who really knows. I have to assume that he wouldn’t be asking for the world.

Does he even truly want to play?

He says he does. He wants to play so badly that he’s even considered a lawsuit against the NFL for blackballing him (he’ll lose, collusion will be impossible to prove).

You do know in March he opted out of his contract on his own right?

I do, and that’s what leads me to believe he’d be willing to play for a small sum. the contract that he opted out of was paying him ridiculous money, so to me it seems pretty clear that money isn’t at all his main motivation.

I’m not really advocating for Kaep to be on the Browns, I personally found him to be an average QB, and as mentioned earlier defenses figured out that if you take away his running lanes and force him to pass he’s very beatable because his completion percentage is at the bottom of the league at around 59-60%. That said, he’s a far better QB than anything the Browns have trotted out in quite some time. Our QB play has been putridly below average, so even an average QB with some semblance of playmaking ability would probably look like Aaron Rodgers to us lol.

soup
    Participant

People keep bringing up Keenum. He’s a 6 year back up no different than Matt Moore or a Ty Detmer. He’s exactly what we don’t need as a mentor to anyone. What’s he going to teach?

Freedom!!!

Ice
    Keymaster

No that’s not your neighborhood shoe store, that’s Colin Kaepernick’s ‘shoe room’. It’s clear there are 2 things important to him; his protest, and his shoes.

Why isn’t RG3 in this discussion? He’s almost the same talent who had almost the same success, just didn’t quit after he was relegated to being a backup and he didn’t kneel. Why aren’t we talking about Johnny 8-ball? He has loads of unrealized talent too.

Let’s talk about actual NFL quarterbacks, not guys who have no chance of coming here.

Ice
    Keymaster

People keep bringing up Keenum. He’s a 6 year back up no different than Matt Moore or a Ty Detmer. He’s exactly what we don’t need as a mentor to anyone. What’s he going to teach?

How to play clutch in the playoffs? Someone hasn’t been watching football much.

soup
    Participant

How to play clutch in the playoffs? Someone hasn’t been watching football much.

I watched a nice throw and a safety miss a tackle that would’ve ended the game. I see a 6 year guy playing on a team with the NFLs #1 defense. I see a journeyman back up ala Matt Moore.

Freedom!!!

blump
    Participant

No that’s not your neighborhood shoe store, that’s Colin Kaepernick’s ‘shoe room’. It’s clear there are 2 things important to him; his protest, and his shoes.
    Why isn’t RG3 in this discussion? He’s almost the same talent who had almost the same success, just didn’t quit after he was relegated to being a backup and he didn’t kneel. Why aren’t we talking about Johnny 8-ball? He has loads of unrealized talent too.
    Let’s talk about actual NFL quarterbacks, not guys who have no chance of coming here.

Where does he put the left shoes? What the fuck?

Ice
    Keymaster

Holy shit Blump, you’re right!

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Your home for all things Cleveland Browns

Skip to toolbar