There's hope, right?

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    csudawg

I know in my mind that there is hope here, and that we can pull this thing together if luck just goes the other way in a few spots, but it is hard to have that mentality after watching such a crap fest on thursday (i HATE thursday football games by the way) and then seeing other teams play what looks to be real football.

We have some nice pieces, but what about our team gives you hope? (as I type this, sunday night football takes a shot at cleveland…sigh). We’ve been at this for nearly 20 years: does it feel different to you?

Christ Follower, Husband, Daddy, Browns fan. @seangajda on twitter. Writer of Pick 6 +1.

soup
    Participant

As much as I don’t want it to happen, going 0-16 is the best thing that can happen. If it doesn’t, I’m sure they’ll award the 49ers the first pick in the draft. We finally won’t have won meaningless games to hurt our draft status and we can utilize that pick on the best player in the draft, or, if we are lucky and Kessler works out – we can rape someone for a QB (this class sucks. Top QB guys are equivalent to trash like Bortles, Locker, Manuel etc.)

On the flip side, assuming Hallam stays Hallam we are screwed no matter what. I can tell you this – if Hallam fires these people then my original thoughts on him are 100% true. His goal is to move the Browns soon. If one person mentions the word “stadium lease” I’ll remind you that the Browns were under lease still when Model moved. I’m sure Mike White got paid a pretty sum to ignore it.

Freedom!!!

soup
    Participant

FYI – my freaking mac keeps auto-correcting the owners name for some stupid reason and I have no clue how to prevent it.

Freedom!!!

Ice
    Keymaster

I have hope, but not for this season. I still think we win a game by accident.

Ice
    Keymaster

Here’s hope.
    In 1989 Dallas hires a new head coach. They go 1-15, but don’t fire him. The next year they go 7-9. The next year they win 11 games and one more in the post season. In the 4th year of the regime they go 13-3 and win the Superbowl. They also won the Superbowl the year after.

If the Browns equate to the 1989 Cowboys, then we can expect to win the 2019 AND 2020 Superbowls.

There’s your hope.

MDP Sack Attack
    Participant

I disagree with their being anything positive to come from an 0-16 season. It’s a complete failure, plain and simple. Trying to pin a narrative on such a complete failure is just letting the front office, coaches, and ownership off the hook. The younger players are learning bad habits, and the veterans are likely working with their agents to find a way out of town. There’s a near zero chance that Pryor and Collins stick it out next year unless this shit show improves.

There’s no “system” worth saving if you can’t eke out one win.

Ice
    Keymaster

We’re only 0-10. We can still make the playoffs.

soup
    Participant

I disagree with their being anything positive to come from an 0-16 season. It’s a complete failure, plain and simple. Trying to pin a narrative on such a complete failure is just letting the front office, coaches, and ownership off the hook. The younger players are learning bad habits, and the veterans are likely working with their agents to find a way out of town. There’s a near zero chance that Pryor and Collins stick it out next year unless this shit show improves.
    There’s no “system” worth saving if you can’t eke out one win.

Which means you fire everyone, lose yet another draft to a new system and win 4 games and repeat. In 17 years:

Palmer
    Davis
    Robiskie
    Crennell
    Mangini
    Shurmer
    Chud
    Pettine
    Jackson

17 years, 9 coaches. What makes you think if we go 0-16 and hire more people that things will change?

Here’s a hint – IT WON’T CHANGE UNTIL YOU FINALLY GIVE A REGIME 5 YEARS WITH NO CHANGES.

Enough is enough already. Hue has been a success everywhere he’s gone. So has Horton. We have 2 highly respected coaches. We have a draft that looks good for once. How about we try continuity for the first time?

What Ice missed about Jimmy Johnson was the Walker tr as early jump started them. Instead of 7 picks at once we have a more spread out accumulation. We can still contend in a few years – but if we fire anyone, nothing changes.

Freedom!!!

MDP Sack Attack
    Participant

Unless I’m mistaken, I think that’s untrue…Vegas had our odds at 0% two weeks ago, which I assumed meant we were mathematically eliminated.

@Soup: I don’t disagree with giving them a chance. The last coach we gave a fair shake was Romeo Crennel…that’s back when we were just bad, not a complete joke. It’s been super downhill from that. Every regime deserves at least three years. Hue and company deserve a couple more seasons, at least.

I’m just saying there’s no silver lining on an 0-16 season. The idea that “you have to get worse before you can get better” is a nonsense narrative, and the idea that getting the #1 pick as opposed to #2, #5 or whichever will lead to a magical turnaround is just plain naive. Winning breeds winning, and the best thing for this team would be a late season surge. Having Pryor and Collins walk would be a huge loss for this organization, but it’s tough to see every loss not pushing them closer and closer to the door…I’d dare say those two (combined) are more valuable than ANY 1st round pick.

Shooter

I’m just saying there’s no silver lining on an 0-16 season.

I think there is.

It’s literally rock bottom. You cannot, regardless of how awful you play or hard you try, do any worse than 0-16. The only, and I mean ONLY way to go, is is up.

For many people, and in many walks of life, it takes absolute and complete failure to spur rebirth, and bring on the dawn of success. From a drug addict to a business owner to a soldier to a performer of any kind, and everything in between. Sometimes it takes complete failure to gain your biggest success.

I’m really sick of having a 5-11, 4-12 football team year after year. If it takes us going 0-16 to finally hit the reset button, let’s bring it on so we can mash that motherfucker and get this turned around once and for all.

To be honest, the worse we play this year the happier I get. The more hopeful I become. At some point, there is going to be a moment where this team stops getting it’s ass kicked and says “no more”. Where it steps up and fights back. And that, is going to be a great moment.

But we’re not there yet. We’re still in the process of really getting worked over right now, and that’s not ending anytime soon. There’s nothing we can do about it either. We just have to take the beating.

But yes, there is hope.

soup
    Participant

And to chime in on winning breeds winning, I call bullshit. Carolina went to the Super Bowl. They currently don’t have major injuries. Got their #1 WR back and are in 4th place at 3-6. Why? They aged out half their D, lost Norman and their back end is bad. Players in the right schemes who developed breed winning

Freedom!!!

Ice
    Keymaster

Unless I’m mistaken, I think that’s untrue…Vegas had our odds at 0% two weeks ago, which I assumed meant we were mathematically eliminated.

Yet another instance of Ice stating a blatantly incorrect stat in hopes that someone else will google it for him.

Shooter

And to chime in on winning breeds winning, I call bullshit. Carolina went to the Super Bowl. They currently don’t have major injuries. Got their #1 WR back and are in 4th place at 3-6. Why? They aged out half their D, lost Norman and their back end is bad. Players in the right schemes who developed breed winning

Gonna partially disagree with you, only because I get your overall point and agree with it.

Carolina had a lot of issues and factors, so I don’t really feel they are a good barometer. I think that comparison misses the mark. Basically everything went their way last year. Cam Newton had himself 1 season where he was able to do what he did at Auburn and as a result they excelled. That was gonna be short-lived almost from the jump. Now look at him. he’s getting his ass handed to him all over again. Cam Newton isn’t really that good. I’m not taking away what he did last year, it was MVP worthy and all, but that shit isn’t sustainable. Plus they lost Jonathan Stewart for 6 weeks……but I’m not gonna sit here here breaking down the Panthers. Fuck the Panthers lol.

The part I agree with you on is “developed players in a system breeding sustained success”. You think of teams that operate at a steady rate of success. New England. The Steelers. The Packers. The Ravens. These teams, these franchises, they just imbue success at every step. Sure, they stumble from time to time, but usually not for long if at all. They sustain a culture of winning, and it permeates in everything they do. Even as players, front office people, and even coaches come and go.

That’s the level we need to be operating at.

soup
    Participant

Carolina had a lot of issues and factors, so I don’t really feel they are a good barometer. I think that comparison misses the mark. Basically everything went their way last year. Cam Newton had himself 1 season where he was able to do what he did at Auburn and as a result they excelled. That was gonna be short-lived almost from the jump. Now look at him. he’s getting his ass handed to him all over again. Cam Newton isn’t really that good. I’m not taking away what he did last year, it was MVP worthy and all, but that shit isn’t sustainable. Plus they lost Jonathan Stewart for 6 weeks……

Quit making excuses (see what I did there).

Freedom!!!

Shooter

I did lmao.

soup
    Participant

And for the record – Stewart’s injury is meaningless. He hasn’t played a full season since 2011. Hell, dude’s in his 9th year and only played 3 full seasons. His injuries don’t count.

Freedom!!!

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Your home for all things Cleveland Browns

Skip to toolbar