Game Balls and Goats – Week 1 vs. Philly.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    soup
    Participant

Game Balls:

Nassib – he showed up today. Solid rookie debut.

Pryor – nice game today

Goats:

Hue Jackson – F for his debut as an OC. He gave up on the run before the game started. He told us we’d be a running team. RUN THE DAMN BALL. I’m sick of this year after year after year.

RG3 – D-. He took a beating – but missing Hawkins wide open in the end zone is inexcusable.

Offensive line – didn’t show up to protect RG3

Erving – changed the game with that terrible snap.

Officials – 1st drive the LT moved his arms straight up prior to the snap. That’s a false start. They called encroachment – should’ve been 3rd and 8. Not 1st and 10. Williams hold – sorry refs – keeping your hand on a lower back is not a hold. It’s perfectly legal. There were also 2 other clear as day false starts on Philly not called. On the first Griffin sack – he was stiff armed in the face. Not sure how that wasn’t a penalty. All that said – they didn’t cost us the game. We blew it by not getting the stops.

I pegged us as a 3-4 win team prior to the 1st game. After losing to this garbage team – I change it to 0 to 2 wins.

My final words are this – after the deflection that the Eagles caught – that had they played any other team it would’ve been a pick 6….Cavs are champions, Indians are in first, Browns are still cursed.

Freedom!!!

the dude
    Participant

This team is crap. For all that thought we would win 8 games this season, this game should have brought you back to reality. Erving is garbage. RG3 is terrible. Our receiving core sucks. Our number 1 from philly sucked. Phillies qb is good and we whiffed again. we suck.

Hue Jackson is a loser.

Shooter

We suck

the dude
    Participant

We suck

This offense actually took me back to the Charlie Frye years.

Hue Jackson is a loser.

soup
    Participant

This team is crap. For all that thought we would win 8 games this season, this game should have brought you back to reality. Erving is garbage. RG3 is terrible. Our receiving core sucks. Our number 1 from philly sucked. Phillies qb is good and we whiffed again. we suck.

Wentz is garbage. Philly held the ball for 39:20. Our D was exhausted. We gave them incredible field position all game. He’s Derek Anderson and Ryan Mallett rolled into one. Started 4-5 then went what 2-10? then picked it up again on a D that never got rest. They get a huge stop and Erving snaps it out of the end zone – right back on the field. We didn’t miss on him. Wait until the season progresses. You will see. We will have 2 top 5 picks this year.

As an example of his AnderMallett ways – he started the game 12 for 25. Then Erving decided to give them a free 2 points.

Freedom!!!

the dude
    Participant

Wentz is garbage.

Quit making excuses – he is a rookie that kicked the shit out of us. You are a moron if you think he is garbage. Of course based on your talent evaluation over the years, I can see why you think someone good is garbage.

Hue Jackson is a loser.

soup
    Participant

Wentz is garbage.

Quit making excuses – he is a rookie that kicked the shit out of us. You are a moron if you think he is garbage. Of course based on your talent evaluation over the years, I can see why you think someone good is garbage.

Yeah – going 12 of 25 is amazing. Now watch what happens when he plays a team that gets some first downs instead of stays on the field for 20 minutes…

Freedom!!!

Shooter

It doesn’t matter if he’s good or not so there’s no point in arguing it. All that matters is that he made us look terrible. If he’s terrible, I shudder at what’s going to happen when we play a “good” QB.

This team is woefully devoid of talent at numerous positions across the field and on both sides of the ball. In typical Cleveland fashion, we completely abandoned running the ball. We made Ryan freaking Mathews look like feature back. Defense can’t get off the field, offense can’t help but go 3-and-out as many times as they possibly can as if THAT’S the point of the game. Everyone was dropping the ball. Miscommunication, dysfunction, poor execution. Cam Erving is just terrible. Joe Thomas got beat for a sack, Joe Haden was beaten for a TD, Griffin got hurt (damn did I call that or what? Brittle little piece of paper mache’ that guy)……it was just a shitshow.

Not that I really expected anything different. I mean I thought they had a chance in this game, but it was clear by the 2nd quarter that any hope or reason for optimism was totally unfounded.

The reality is this is going to be a long, hard, painful year. Most likely worse than all the other ones we have seen here. We may very well join Detroit as the only teams to not win a game during a season. Maybe we squeak out or luck into a win or two, but it’s going to take some things seriously going in our favor or just a complete meltdown by another team. If they don’t, that goose egg is staring at us, and hard.

I really wish I could be optimistic, and I hate sounding like this, but I’m just being realistic. Every team in this division is going to crush us. It’s just going to be an awful, embarrassing year with each week looking like a repeat of the last.

And I don’t see anything that’s going to change it.

Oh, as for Game Balls. No one. I was going to give one to Pryor cause he played well, but he bobbled a pass that would have been a TD and turned 6 points into an 11-yard gain, so fuck him too.

Goats. Everyone. Even the water boys sucked today.

mike barnes
    Participant

Nassib and Ogbah played well so did Shobert, Coleman will be okay just got to settle down, I think duke should start at running back crow is too slow, the o-line is not as bad as rg3 holding the ball too long I counted a number of times when he held it for 4 seconds or longer.
    as for Wentz that’s the man I wanted said so on this board a number of times people around the nfl were cutting into him because of the level of the competion he faced at ndsu well look at the way he ran the offense one that is similar to the one he ran in school so looks like phila got big ben 2.

soup
    Participant

Overall the biggest issue is the fact that they didn’t put the run in the gameplan and Hue played OC as if he were still with the Bengals. 17 rookies on this team. It should be RUN, RUN, RUN Play action. RUN RUN and RUN some more. He needs to simplify and dump the tricks.

well look at the way he ran the offense one that is similar to the one he ran in school so looks like phila got big ben 2.

I’ll say it again. 12 for 25. That’s how he started. 12 for 25. Griffin? 12 for 26 for the game. So if he goes 10 for his next 11 – we got Big Ben in RG3 according to this statement.

HE started 4-5 then went 8 for his next 20. Our D OWNED him until they got too exhausted to play.

Browns half 1 TOP:

11 minutes and change. (for those counting there’s 30 minutes in a half)

Wentz: On his first drive he should’ve been 5-5 but there was 1 drop. 4 of those 5 passes were less than 5 yards down field. His TD throw – it was beautiful. Those short throws? WE spent the past 16 season bitching about those throws in our own offense and now suddenly you are a HOF QB if that’s all you do.

It was a 5:10 second drive greatly aided by a 3rd and 3 botched call by the officials on an obvious false start. Should’ve been 3rd and 8. But instead it was an automatic first down.

Browns: 1:19 TOP 3 and out – 5 yards

Philly: 5 plays for 7 yards. Why 5 plays? Officials made up a fake PI call to give them another 1st down.

Browns: 1:59 TOP 3 and out – 3 yards

Philly: 6 plays 14 yards (astounding – brilliant offense)

Browns: 4 plays 1:03 TOP – -1 yards. Yep – our first 3 drives combined totaled 7 yards with a “long” drive of less than 2 minutes.

Philly – FG after a 5 play drive. The key? A 3(?) yard throw that Ertz took for 28 yards.

Browns: 7 plays 75 yards and a TD – 3:19 drive. YAY! We broke 3 minutes on a drive! Did I mention it took us until Q2 to do this? We had the ball for roughly 4 minutes in Q1 – D was on the field for 11. Can you say tired defense?

Eagles: answer with 3 plays for 5 yards. (can you explain where Big Ben comparison came from yet?)

Browns: 7 plays 52 yards and……tipped pass for an interception (typical Browns luck)

Eagles: FG drive – every single pass by Wentz was short. (in fact – every pass in the half but the TD was considered a short pass per the play by play)

Browns: 27 second TOP end of half

Now the fun! Browns half 2

Browns: 5 plays 58 yards 1:03 TOP.

Eagles: Wentz 3 for 5 on the drive. 1 deep completion – other 4 passes were short throws – including a whopping 6 yard gain on 3rd and 16). Punt

Browns: 1 play – :05 seconds. SAFETY. Defense is done. Exhausted. Game over. 2 drives to begin the half at an average of 0:34 seconds a drive.

4 of the final 5 drives for the Browns: 1:36 TOP or LESS. The “long” drive was 2:53.

The defense was DONE. That’s when he racked up the 10 of his last 12 including a tipped pass that against any team but Cleveland would’ve been a pick 6. But against Cleveland it turns into a positive gain for a reciever the ball wasn’t supposed to go to.

Final TOP: Browns 20:40 Eagles 39:20.

IF we were this bad against a team as terrible as the Eagles – we are SCREWED the rest of the year. I watched Miami vs. Seattle. Miami’s D is ridiculous. Week 3 we may have under 75 yards for the game. Next week against Baltimore I’m thinking under 125 yards of offense.

Our D will be decimated with injury solely due to exhaustion by week 8.

Freedom!!!

DawgSoldier
    Participant

The more soup says the Wentz is a crap QB. The bigger BUFFOON he proves he is. The melt and idiotic defense in face of the facts is immensely amusing.

http://cloudassetserver.com/STL/posts/185/sp_04_976x0.jpg

Dawgstyle
    Participant

Hue Jackson is still a very good coach. We have a very young roster than will benefit from good coaching. Even if the roster has minimal turnover, I don’t expect these guys to be playing anywhere near as poorly as they did today by season’s end. New offense. New defense (why do we keep flopping back and forth between the 3-4 and 4-3!? It just ensures we don’t have the right personnel).

While I understand that they can’t say they’re tanking the season (who would buy tickets to see that?), they’re really rolling the dice on high risk boom/bust prospects like RG3, Josh Gordon and Terrelle Pryor until they get through the upcoming 2 in 1 draft and another season of free agency.

Today was demoralizing. We were in it. We should have won. We beat ourselves, and that is what is the source of much of our frustration. Today was a comedy of errors. Tons of drops, constantly pinned back inside the 5 yard line, and we had NO good luck to speak of. Every 50/50 opportunity from tipped balls to fumbles went to the Eagles.

We need to give this 4 years. We need continuity. Out veterans need experience in the same system, on both offense and defense. We’ve made our bed with constant changes and now it’s time to lay in it.

I’m reserving judgement until after the season’s end. Too many variables at this point. Hard to fault a defense that is on the field for 40 minutes. Easy to put blame a kid that is making his first start at center or wide receiver as if there is no change from college to the NFL. We’re going to have good games. We’re going to have bad games. You don’t fix a team overnight with the youth movement we’ve got going on, this is a long term rebuild.

If we are in fact tanking this season (and I believe we are), today was a no lose proposition for us. Either our own draft pick became more valuable with or loss, or the Eagles draft pick became more valuable with a win. We finally have a front office that understands how to construct a no lose scenario and (potentially) that losing the battle might be the only way to win the war.

Lastly, as someone who was very much on the fence about Wentz prior to this game, I was very impressed with him. His ability to get the ball out quickly into tight windows will help him immensely as he learns the position. I hope this isn’t another Julio Jones scenario, where we trade away a Pro Bowl caliber player at a position of desperate need only to draft the next bust that “is a better fit”. It’s only one game, but there were a lot of flashes for Eagles fans to be excited about. Though it’s only one game, a tip of the hat to those who wanted him. 278 yards, 2 TD, no INTs and a 101.0 rating (lets be honest, if this would have been a closer game he would have eclipsed 300 yards passing) in his first start is a better stat line than many Cleveland QBs have ever put up in their careers.

818 mph. 13,723 feet. 3 second burn.
    https://youtu.be/hy-3bb1Nqy0

Ice
    Keymaster

If the Eagles are as bad as the pundits have said they are, then we have to accept the possibility that the Browns are as bad as the pundits say we are. We need better players. This team isn’t going to the playoffs with Erving under center. Shelton isn’t gonna win us any rings.

We might be a 1 win team this year.

Trippy
    Participant

For those taking notes, that was our 12th consecutive opening day loss. In fact, we’ve only won once since the return: 2004 (Jeff Garcia’s debut). We simply do not win our openers.

1-16

soup
    Participant

(lets be honest, if this would have been a closer game he would have eclipsed 300 yards passing)

If you are being honest he’d have finished around 50% completion around 200 yards in a close game. Why? Because for it to be close the Browns would’ve had the ball an extra 10 minutes which would remove it from the Eagles offense.

4 for 5

8 for 20

10 for 12 (this happened after the Erving snap out of the end zone and in roughly 35 minutes of play prior – our defense was on the field for 22 minutes).

OVER 50% of the Browns real drives on offense (meaning I’m EXcluding end of half and end of game)were for less than 1 1/2 minutes.

Freedom!!!

Dawg E. Dawg
    Participant

There should really only be one goat for this game, and it’ll be the same for every game this season: Ray Farmer.

His “leadership” left this team devoid of talent. He let his decent/good players walk like Sheard and buster skrine and Jordan cameron, and he replaced them with overpriced bums like Tramon Williams and Donte Whitner, and draft busts like Manziel and Gilbert and Mingo and everybody else.

Really, if you look around and see what his picks are doing, their almost universally terrible. Nate Orchard is already behind 2 rookies on this team.

Fact is, Sashi isn’t in a rebuild, it’s just a build. The only great players he inherited were the Joes, who were here before Farmer. I’m blaming farmer for this whole season.

soup
    Participant

There should really only be one goat for this game, and it’ll be the same for every game this season: Ray Farmer.
    His “leadership” left this team devoid of talent. He let his decent/good players walk like Sheard and buster skrine and Jordan cameron, and he replaced them with overpriced bums like Tramon Williams and Donte Whitner, and draft busts like Manziel and Gilbert and Mingo and everybody else.
    Really, if you look around and see what his picks are doing, their almost universally terrible. Nate Orchard is already behind 2 rookies on this team.
    Fact is, Sashi isn’t in a rebuild, it’s just a build. The only great players he inherited were the Joes, who were here before Farmer. I’m blaming farmer for this whole season.

Well stated – but Farmer didn’t draft Mingo – that was all Mike Dumbardi.

I’ve been on record since he was drafted by us and I saw him ply – Sheard was far and away the best LBer on this team. It wasn’t even close. Yesterday he logged 4 tackles — 3 for loss.

Mingo – who Shooter ranted about because Belichick was going to make him a stud and you could see it in preseason — was active – but didn’t log a single stat. Don’t know if he played. BUT – I still stand by my statement on Mingo – won’t judge him until 8 games in to playing for NE as he was a late addition and has to be integrated into their scheme and accustomed to their playbook. I’m still confident he’ll return nothing for them.

As for the basis of your post – you are dead on 100% correct. Well stated.

Freedom!!!

the dude
    Participant

For those taking notes, that was our 12th consecutive opening day loss. In fact, we’ve only won once since the return: 2004 (Jeff Garcia’s debut). We simply do not win our openers.
    1-16

Sadly, I didn’t need to look at your notes….My favorite was still charlie frye and getting traded 2 days after.

Hue Jackson is a loser.

Ice
    Keymaster

Dawg E Dawg nailed it. I’d extend my middle finger not just to Farmer, but to all the regimes that preceded him too. Since 2011 we’ve had 9 first round picks. Those are guys that should be 2nd contract vets in their prime leading our team right now. 3 of them are backups on other teams. 3 of them are out of the NFL. NONE of them picked before 2015 are on the team. You have to almost intentionally suck to do that poorly.

Dawg E. Dawg
    Participant

Dawg E Dawg nailed it. I’d extend my middle finger not just to Farmer, but to all the regimes that preceded him too. Since 2011 we’ve had 9 first round picks. Those are guys that should be 2nd contract vets in their prime leading our team right now. 3 of them are backups on other teams. 3 of them are out of the NFL. NONE of them picked before 2015 are on the team. You have to almost intentionally suck to do that poorly.

We traded UP for all 3 that are out of the league, and 1 that is a backup on another team. Because we wanted them THAT badly.

Ice
    Keymaster

We traded UP for all 3 that are out of the league, and 1 that is a backup on another team. Because we wanted them THAT badly.

Deep breath in…. deep breath out….. embrace the suck.

Shooter

No, I can’t go with that.

It’s not just Farmer, and it’s not just this game. It’s all of it.

It’s Dwight Clark. It’s Carmen Policy. It’s Butch Davis. It’s Phil Savage. It’s Mike Lombardi. It’s George Kokinas. It’s Randy Lerner. It’s Mike Holmgren. It’s Tom Heckert. It’s Jimmy Haslam. It’s Romeo Crennel. It’s Pat Shurmer. It’s Mike Pettine…………these guys have come and gone over the course of 17 years and all along the way have twisted, destroyed, dismantled, rebuilt, restructured, reanimated, rebranded, reused, gutted, traded, fired, overhauled, installed, fought, argued, bitched, moaned, started over, started over, started over, started over, started over, and started over again with schemes, players, personnel, philosophies, systems, styles, attitudes, rebuilt the facilities, hung up new pictures, painted the walls over, changed facemasks, uniforms, slogans, attitudes and everything known to man and still didn’t accomplish the one and only that actually fucking matters.

Winning.

These people have for 17 years fucked this franchise 6 ways from Sunday, and have put it in such a position that despite what anyone does or tries I don’t see how there’s any way anyone can possibly consider it to actually be a functioning organization.

We are the Gary Busey of the NFL. Just pure, unfiltered crazy, and most people are utterly shocked to hear that we’re still actually fucking alive.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Your home for all things Cleveland Browns

Skip to toolbar