G Zeitler being traded to NYG for OLB Vernon

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    soup
    Participant

The New York Giants have agreed to a trade that will send outside linebacker Olivier Vernon to the Cleveland Browns in exchange for right guard Kevin Zeitler, a source told ESPN’s Adam Schefter on Friday.

Vernon led the Giants last season with 7 sacks and 21 quarterback hits in 11 games. That was more than twice as many quarterback hits as any other player on the team. He played linebacker in the Giants’ 3-4 defensive scheme last season, but has played at defensive end in a 4-3 package.

He is scheduled to make $15.5 million this season. His current deal with the Giants had two years and $31 million remaining. Trading Vernon will save the Giants $11.5 million against the cap and leaves them with an $8 million dead money cap hit as well.

Injuries have been Vernon’s biggest problem since signing a five-year, $84.75 million deal as the Giants’ prized free agent in the 2016 offseason. He has missed nine games the past two seasons with various injuries. He didn’t miss a game during his first five years in the league.

Vernon, 28, spent the first four years of his career with the Miami Dolphins and has 51 career sacks in 103 games.

Zeitler, who turned 28 on Friday, had the second-highest cap hit ($12.4 million) for the Browns heading into the 2019 season.

ESPN’s Jordan Raanan contributed to this report.

Freedom!!!

MDP Sack Attack
    Participant

Vernon sounds like a solid pickup, but I’m confused by our trading a starter. They must be confident in Corbett.

Ice
    Keymaster

They’re also sending us their 4th and we send our 5th in the deal.

Vernon has been injured a lot over the past couple years and has a YUGE cap number. Pro Football Focus rated him the #8 pass rusher in the NFL last year despite only playing in 11 games. The Giants switched to a 3-4 and he’s better suited to play DE.

Ice
    Keymaster

Vernon sounds like a solid pickup, but I’m confused by our trading a starter. They must be confident in Corbett.

They were confident enough to take him early in the draft last year. This also clears up roster room to add a tackle if they choose to do that.

Dawg E. Dawg
    Participant

Vernon reminds me of when we signed Paul Kruger. He was really good opposite Terrell Suggs, but couldn’t raise his game when asked to be the top dog. That’s what Vernon experienced going from Miami and Cameron Wake to New York and being on an island. He should look much better opposite Garrett.

The pick swap is we gave up 155 for 132, so we move up 23 spots.

And yeah, Corbett. Like I’ve said before, looks like the bust talk was extremely premature. Somehow, people thought a rookie should be able to beat out a pro bowler still in his prime and rushed to judgment when he couldn’t.

Dawg E. Dawg
    Participant

They were confident enough to take him early in the draft last year. This also clears up roster room to add a tackle if they choose to do that.

But, I like that they didn’t let the presence of Chad Thomas stop them from upgrading at DE. I really have a lot of trust in Dorsey. More so than any other GM of the Browns since I’ve been alive.

Ice
    Keymaster

Looks like a speed rusher who loves to eat the lunch of bigger slower tackles. According to my research (which may or may not be limited to watching that 7 minute highlight reel) he was very effective against some of the stout LT’s in the NFC East.

the dude
    Participant

Good move by the front office. They are really going after tier 1 players. This is how they should do things going forward when they can. A top tier pass rusher upgrading a draft pick and only giving up a average player.

Hue Jackson is a loser.

DawgSoldier
    Participant

I wonder if they will look at moving Ogbah inside?….even if it is just on on passing plays?

http://cloudassetserver.com/STL/posts/185/sp_04_976x0.jpg

Shooter

According to my research

Lmao. If there ever was a misnomer.

mike barnes
    Participant

If J.D. believes in Corbett then we’ll see but I’ve got faith, plus we got a fourth round pick for a fifth not bad at all ammo to move up in the future.

Dawg E. Dawg
    Participant

If J.D. believes in Corbett then we’ll see but I’ve got faith, plus we got a fourth round pick for a fifth not bad at all ammo to move up in the future.

This isn’t putting faith in a draft pick. This is evaluating a guy that’s been on the team for a year, competing against NFL talent. Dorsey should have a pretty damn good handle on Corbett’s abilities.

Ice
    Keymaster

I wonder if they will look at moving Ogbah inside?….even if it is just on on passing plays?

Great question! According to my research** Ogbah actually played 59% of his snaps inside last season. Dorsey actually said his goal is to have 4 pass rushers on the D-line…

**Pretty sure I heard that stat on a podcast

Dawgstyle
    Participant

According to my research

Translated to English:

I think I heard somewhere…

818 mph. 13,723 feet. 3 second burn.
    https://youtu.be/hy-3bb1Nqy0

Ice
    Keymaster

The swap of picks for this trade has been cancelled due to the OBJ trade.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Your home for all things Cleveland Browns

Skip to toolbar