Browns hiring Alonzo Highsmith as aVP of player personnel

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    soup
    Participant

Great pedigree. Also, I like Dorsey more now as I just found out through the link that Rin Wolf recommended Haslam hire him.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2018/01/browns_to_hire_alonzo_highsmit.html#incart_big-photo

Freedom!!!

Shooter

He worked under Wolf for years. I’m a big fan of that.

GABrownsFan
    Participant

Anybody with Ron Wolf’s stamp of approval works for me.

DawgPoundDude
    Participant

Anybody with Ron Wolf’s stamp of approval works for me.

Even Mike Holmgren? If I’m not mistaken, we hired him based on Wolf’s advice. That’s not to say that this isn’t a good hire…it really seems as if Dorsey is putting together a solid team, and at the least, he doesn’t seem clueless.

But this team has a way of laughing in the face of past individual achievements and turning them on their heads. It’ll be interesting to see if they can overcome the Factory of Sadness.

Dilly dilly.

blump
    Participant

This guy has maybe the coolest first sentence of a wikipedia page ever:

“Alonzo Walter Highsmith, Sr. (born February 26, 1965) is a former American football fullback and professional boxer, who played in the National Football League (NFL) for the Houston Oilers, Dallas Cowboys, and the Tampa Bay Buccaneers”

27-1-2 as a pro boxer with 23 knockouts.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alonzo_Highsmith

GABrownsFan
    Participant

Honestly, I don’t even remember if Wolf recommended Holmgren, although the GB ties are there. That wouldn’t make me question this hire, though, even as bad as the Holmgren era was.

Dilly, dilly.

Shooter

The problem with Mike Holmgren was he was a slug that did little other than cash Randy Lerners checks and ride his motorcycle. The Browns were an ATM to him, not a football team. At best he poked his in a few doors and said to whoever was in there “you’re doing great, keep doing what you’re doing”.

“I’m gonna hire a coach since I’m in charge here. Umm, hmmmm, uhhhhhhhhhhhhhPat Shurmer, whatever. I gotta go.”

But Lerner didn’t give a fuck either so, what did we expect?

Dawg E. Dawg
    Participant

The difference is with Homlgren, he made a name for himself based on the success he had as a coach and his ability to coach, and we hired him to do everything except coach. He’d already proven he couldn’t be a personnel man in Seattle, and we hired him anyway.

With Highsmith, we’re hiring a personnel guy to be a personnel guy. Surprisingly, that makes a lot of sense.

soup
    Participant

The difference is with Homlgren, he made a name for himself based on the success he had as a coach and his ability to coach, and we hired him to do everything except coach. He’d already proven he couldn’t be a personnel man in Seattle, and we hired him anyway.
    With Highsmith, we’re hiring a personnel guy to be a personnel guy. Surprisingly, that makes a lot of sense.

Maybe we tripped and fell in something other than shit for once.

Freedom!!!

blump
    Participant

I was looking into the backgrounds of our front office guys today, and it was incredible to me how many of our personnel guys have no experience in the NFL other than with the worst franchise in the league.

The 4 semi-recent hires that I think most of us know about do have varying degrees of experience around the league. Ryan Grigson, Andrew Berry, Highsmith and Ken Kovash. Kovash is the analytics guy who Sashi got some shit for promoting to VP / Player Personnel. He was in Dallas for 2 years. After that, it gets kinda scary to me…

The following 4 guys were all promoted to those positions after 5-10 years as a Browns scout:

1. Director of Player Personnel Chisom Opara
    2. Director of College Scouting Bobby Vega
    3. Director of Pro Scouting Dan Saganey
    4. Director of Scouting Mike Cetta

What I’m trying to understand is what the f_ these guys could have done in 2000-2012ish to get promoted? Are they all claiming Joe Thomas?

Maybe the “Director” title just means they’re good at directing stuff, but don’t have to do any scouting anymore?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Your home for all things Cleveland Browns

Skip to toolbar