Brady suspended 4 games, Pats lose draft picks

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    Ice
    Keymaster

Not exactly Browns news, but it’s big NFL news. What’s your take?

As a Browns fan, anything that knocks down the competition makes me happy. If they want to suspend Peyton Manning for looking terrible with his shirt off then I’m all for it.

But I’m conflicted. There’s no doubt in my mind that Brady is completely guilty of making those two equipment guys deflate the game balls, and if you doubt it just read the text messages. Still, he had guys take a pound of air out of the football. It’s cheating, but on the cheating scale it’s lower than WR’s using sticky glue on their hands or linemen spraying silicone on their uniforms. It should definitely be a stiff fine, but to suspend Brady? Come on. The NFL has now set the precedent that mildly cheating at football is worse than beating your wife. Brady gets a 4 game suspension, Ray Rice beats his wife senseless and gets a 2 game suspension. Ben Roethlisberger raped a girl and got a 4 game suspension. Tom Brady had guys slightly deflate a football. Ndamukong Suh purposefully stomped on Aaron Rodgers leg in an attempt to break it in two, and he was not suspended. Tom Brady had guys slightly deflate footballs and got the exact same suspension that he would have received if he was shooting roids or smoking crack.

I hate Tom Brady with a passion, but if we’re not suspending Suh for trying to break Rodger’s leg then we shouldn’t be suspending Brady for taking a little air out of the ball. After all is said and done it didn’t have much effect on his actual play on the field. Fine him 4 game checks, which is a couple million dollars. That sends a better message.

Ice
    Keymaster

BrownsFan4Life
    Participant

My favorite part of the report

Based on the evidence, it also is our view that it is more probable than not that Tom Brady [the quarterback for the Patriots] was at least generally aware of the inappropriate activities of McNally and Jastremski involving the release of air from Patriots game balls.”

If it is a fact, you don’t say it is also our view. You would say based on the evidence it has been determined that Tom Brady not only knew about the deflation of the footballs but ordered it. I guess if you are the NFL provable facts don’t matter.

Ice
    Keymaster

I guess if you are the NFL provable facts don’t matter.

Quite right. The NFL is not the US government. Guilt is not held to the standard of ‘beyond reasonable doubt’. If the NFL thinks he did it, that is enough to punish him. They are a private company so they don’t need proof. “Based on the evidence it is our view….” is lawyer-speak for ‘we know he did it, but we don’t have proof so to keep him from suing us for slander we say we think he did it’.

BrownsFan4Life
    Participant

As much as I dislike NE, I don’t think there is enough proof to suspend him but that is the beauty of the NFL. They can have all the proof they need when a player knocks out his fiancee (2 games) but if you probably knew air was being let out of footbals, you get 4 games. I am so glad the NFL is consistent.

Shooter

Everyone, in all sports, cheats.

It’s the truth. Ask anyone, who has ever played any game, at just about any level, and they will tell you the same thing. We all know it.

The reality here is, this is Tom Brady on his way out of the tunnel whispering to the equipment guy “hey man, let some air out and I’ll sign ya some shoes”.

I have no other real point to add to that, because…….. that’s it. That’s the entire crux of what people are arguing about.

Big. Fucking. Deal.

This is taking 3 steps on a drive to the lane. This is some stick ’em on a pair of gloves. This is an emery board in a pitchers back pocket. This is a cleat a half inch longer than it should be, a car whose hood gets an extra 15th of an inch of downforce, this is deer antler spray, this is Ray Guy putting Helium in the ball (stupidly alleged, even if totally true), blowing in someones ear at the baseline during a free throw, screaming “I got it” during a pop up as you round first and are the one who hit it.

Who. Gives. A. Shit……about ridiculous crap like this? I mean for fucks sakes, really.

“But but buh he broke the rules and rules are rules and integrity and honor and” ohshutthefuckup!!!!

This is honestly the most ridiculous debate I have ever freaking seen. And he got 4 games? Is someone going to get 4 when they have the wrong socks on? It’s a rule ya know.

Where does this insane, idiotic line of thinking even fucking come from? I’ll tell ya where. From the losers. The poor, poor losers. That whine. That grasp at straws and just can’t get over the fact that they lost. Instead of just taking it, moving on, and walking away, we have this shit. This completely idiotic, nonsensical, watered down version of vagina worship because “it’s not fair”. Wah wah wah. Get a fucking grip people my god. YTa know I’m willing to bet that there was at least 1 person who popped a blood vessel over this, or at the very least 1 who had a heart attack screaming over this.

That’s fucking insane.

They had a 10 point lead with “deflated” footballs. Then got the realsies and proceeded to beat them down 28-0. 10 point advantage the cheater way, 28 point advantage the real way.

Why are we arguing? What are we fucking talking about here? Really? Integrity? Getthefuckouttahere with that. Integrity, please. He didn’t pay off the refs. He didn’t hire seal team 6 to intercept all of the opposing teams playcalls and electronically beam them back to headquarters so that it could be relayed to him in his headset 4 seconds later so he could adjust and make the right play call. He didn’t fuck anyones wife. (well, he might’ve, he is Tom Brady after all, but that’s speculative and I’m not going down that road). He didn’t inject everyone with Bull Semen at halftime so they could go into an awesome fatality like they were playing Mortal Kombat.

He told someone to let a little air out of a fucking football. And that someone listened and did it.

So what.

Ice
    Keymaster

The funny thing is that no one here is arguing. I’m gonna go out on a limb and speak for all of us who have chimed in on this topic. We all hate the Patriots. We all hate Tom Brady. We’re all jealous of their success. And none of us thinks that he deserved a 4 game suspension.

You know why he got a 4 game suspension? Because he didn’t fully cooperate with the investigation and that pissed off the NFL. Had he released the texts that said “deflate those game balls” then they probably would have given him a 2 game suspension and reduced it to a fine on appeal. But since he gave the NFL the finger, they gave it right back.

josh
    Participant

nah im actually on the side that i believe the punishment was fair.

i dont care how much the deflation helped him throw it. he broke a rule.

whats the point in having rules, if you dont have to live by them? If ball PSI isnt a big deal, get rid of the rule. Until then, nah, you cant intentionally go behind the officiating crews checks and balances, and have some dude cheat for you– without consequences.

Ice
    Keymaster

nah im actually on the side that i believe the punishment was fair.
    i dont care how much the deflation helped him throw it. he broke a rule.
    whats the point in having rules, if you dont have to live by them? If ball PSI isnt a big deal, get rid of the rule. Until then, nah, you cant intentionally go behind the officiating crews checks and balances, and have some dude cheat for you– without consequences.

Yesterday the Defense Chief of North Korea was executed by AA guns for falling asleep during a meeting. He also broke a rule.

I’m not saying that Tom shouldn’t be punished, I’m saying that the punishment doesn’t fit the crime. He should be fined heavily. Also the punishment doesn’t make sense when you look at the NFL’s history of punishing players. Ray Rice beats his wife unconscious in an elevator, gets a 2 game suspension. Suh tries to break Aaron Rodger’s leg, gets a only a fine even though it’s the second time he’s done it. Packman Jones was involved in a shooting, gets a 4 game suspension. Brandon Meriweather has repeatedly hit players helmet-to-helmet, was finally benched for 2 games. He did it again, was benched for 2 more games. What the NFL is saying to me is that Brady would have been penalized the same if he had his ‘boys’ shoot Peyton Manning in the leg. He would have been penalized less for beating up Jiselle and dragging her around by the hair. Apparently in the eyes of the NFL asking someone to reduce the air pressure in a football is worse than intentionally and repeatedly trying to injure other players.

the dude
    Participant

Shooters argument is they had a 10 point lead and then they still beat them down. This is completely wrong. Have a 10 point lead is a humongous advantage is playing calling, positioning, and schemes. The Pats can go into the most preventive schemes while the Colts have to go full boat aggression down by 2 scores which can result in turn overs, riskier plays, and forcing different plays.

Personally, I still by my opinion, this should have been dealt with immediately as it was blatant cheating and change the game. Also, I am still amazed Ray Lewis was allowed to play in the Super Bowl when he used steroids to get back in shape. The NFL has ZERO integrity!!!

Hue Jackson is a loser.

Ice
    Keymaster

Also, I am still amazed Ray Lewis was allowed to play in the Super Bowl when he used steroids to get back in shape.

Plus he killed someone.

the dude
    Participant

Also, I am still amazed Ray Lewis was allowed to play in the Super Bowl when he used steroids to get back in shape.

Plus he killed someone.

http://www.metatube.com/en/videos/5895/Disney-s-Ray-of-Light-Ray-Lewis-TV-Funhouse/

Hue Jackson is a loser.

Shooter

For clarification, my post was a generalization, not directed at anyone in particular.

I still maintain that this is the dumbest thing I’ve ever seen in sports, and I’ve seen some seriously dumb shit in my time.

soup
    Participant

I’m sure I’ll get abused for this, but this punishment was way too light.

Josh Gordon drank a beer on a plane after game 16 and GOT A ONE YEAR SUSPENSION.

Bill Belichick VIDEOTAPED practices
    Tom Brady DEFLATED FOOTBALLS FOR BETTER GRIP

Both practices came in years where the Patriots WON THE SUPER BOWL.

You know what that means? They cheated every other year without question. Here’s how I’d punish:

Tom Brady – 1 year suspension
    Patriots ENTIRE COACHING STAFF – 1 year suspension
    Patriots – Next 5 ENTIRE drafts wiped out. They get to pick from the UDFA’s for 5 years. Why? Because that’s how you teach them to never do that again.

They all new what was happening. They don’t have 3 Super Bowl Wins and 5 appearances because they are good. They have them solely because they cheated. Put an end to it now.

All this says is “Cheat for 4 games with Jimmy G. You did it with Cassell for 16.”

Go ahead, abuse me for it – but answer me this. What effected the actual game more? New England cheating for the past decade or Josh Gordon drinking a beer on a plane after game 16 was over?

Freedom!!!

Ice
    Keymaster

Here’s how I’d punish:
    Tom Brady – 1 year suspension Patriots ENTIRE COACHING STAFF – 1 year suspension Patriots – Next 5 ENTIRE drafts wiped out. They get to pick from the UDFA’s for 5 years.

That’s the moderate, temperate @Soup we’re all accustomed to. We should move their franchise to Calcutta and change their name to the Hyper Bladders. They should also be forced to play every game with their helmets on backwards.

Shooter

Alright man, I’m not gonna abuse you, but really?

A year?

I’m bitter as they come about the Josh Gordon thing. I think it’s all bullshit. I literally become Russel Crowe in Gladiator when talking about it. But a year?

He told an attendant to let some air out of a ball.

So what?

Did it fucking matter?

No. End of story.

soup
    Participant

Alright man, I’m not gonna abuse you, but really?
    A year?
    I’m bitter as they come about the Josh Gordon thing. I think it’s all bullshit. I literally become Russel Crowe in Gladiator when talking about it. But a year?
    He told an attendant to let some air out of a ball.
    So what?
    Did it fucking matter?
    No. End of story.

You can’t say it didn’t matter. Without it he may have thrown 4 pick 6’s.

My overall point is that, just like Gordon, the Patriots are multiple time offenders.

There are 0 owners in the NFL who wouldn’t pay $1.5 million and 2 1st round picks (total fines of the 2 times caught) for 2 Super Bowl victories.

They affected the outcome of games. They’ve cheated every year. They deserve a harsh punishment.

Nothing Gordon did gave him any advantage. In fact, it’s a disadvantage.

This punishment tells me the Patriots will cheat there way to 12-4 and another Super Bowl

Freedom!!!

josh
    Participant

how can you say it didnt matter?

if it didnt matter, tom brady wouldnt have had it done.

and dont say its for “comfort” either. he would have thrown a football that felt like a lubed up elephant testicle if it gave him a throwing advantage– it had nothing to do with ergonomics, it was about the ability to control the football better. Thats an advantage.

having that advantage, intentionally manipulated onto a ball, AFTER the officials had already checked them to make sure they were legal, by having the equipment manager duck in to the bathroom and deflate them, that is the deliberate act of cheating outside of the rules to which you are well aware of, in order to gain a non legal advantage.

i dont condone hitting your wife, i think its dumb gordon got a year for a beer, etc etc. but neither of those things change the fact that the patriots best player deliberately cheated, in a game whos winner gets to go to the superbowl. if they mispunished the other guys, fault them for that. but for this, im glad they were punished accordingly.

syd
    Participant

hahahhaha shooter’s excuse when he hit’s the hay with the wifey

Deflation

syd
    Participant

hahahhaha shooter’s excuse when he hit’s the hay with the wifey
    Deflation

or soups masterbation song,just deflation in my hand

durakbane
    Participant

I’m not ‘completely’ opposed to the 4 game suspension. Brady didn’t cooperate and therefore, it is reasonable to presume that the text message and etc. could have contained incriminating evidence against him. Its the equivalent of a “no comment” statement. Essentially, I think it will get arbitrated down and I think the league knows that.

I think the 1st rd pick and 1 million dollars is too much. I think that the league had to be more harsh on NE than Atlanta and their crowd noise, but there seems to be a lot of room between what they hit NE with and what Atlanta got hit with. (NOTE: I didn’t think the future 4th was too much.)

Overall, I think the NFL is making a statement that if you are going to continue to get caught trying to circumvent the rules (Spygate, Deflate Gate), we are going to make an example of you. If this is their ultimate motivation, then fine. If they think they were being fair and impartial in their ruling, then they are delusional.

Trippy
    Participant

I think the punishment was harder on the Patriots because of past offenses (Spygate, etc) and I also think that public opinion had a lot to do with it. There is a lot of hate for all Boston sports teams and fans are going absolutely nuts. The NFL and Goodell fucked up the Ray Rice thing so bad that people were calling for Goodell’s head. He wasn’t going to let that happen again.

Shooter

To me, telling an equipment manager to let a little air out of a football to get the grip he likes is…….minute. Insignificant. It’s full of “so what?”.

I just don’t in any way see it as a big deal. I don’t even see it as a little deal. It’s like a pitcher rubbing the baseball before he pitches (which, by the way, is legal). Aaron Rodgers has come out and said he prefers the balls over inflated. Where’s his pitchfork mob? Were the balls from his superbowl win OVERinflated? If they were, is his superbowl now “tainted”.

It’s ridiculous to me. It didn’t help him block a pass rush or make his receivers run the correct routes. It didn’t help them catch the ball. It didn’t factor in to any X’s or O’s. In all honesty, it didn’t do shit.

Calling it “cheating”, to me anyway, is just absurd. And this is coming from a guy who shares in just about everyones feelings on hating the Patriots.

josh
    Participant

if it didnt make any difference, why the f would he have them deflate the balls?

why would he have it done AFTER the officials had already checked them.

you dont go out of your way to do something you know isnt legal if it makes no difference. you dont have equipment managers ducking into the bathroom within what a 3 minute time span after the officials have checked it, if you arent intentionally doing something outside of the rules, knowingly.

screw them, they cheated.

the dude
    Participant

if it didnt make any difference, why the f would he have them deflate the balls?
    why would he have it done AFTER the officials had already checked them.
    ……..
    screw them, they cheated.

This is twice in a decade they have been caught cheating. The last time Goodell destroyed the evidence. The commissioner is terrible. He is terrible in how he has handled cheating with several teams, he is terrible based on how he has handled player matters, he is terrible how he has handled concussions and hitting matters. It is all for a profit and not to provide a quality product.

Hue Jackson is a loser.

Ice
    Keymaster

@josh and @dude make excellent points. @shooter makes loud points, but also valid. IMO if you’re comparing this to baseball this is equivalent to a pitcher getting caught putting pine resin on the balls. It won’t turn a bad pitcher into a good pitcher but it gives him a slight advantage and is cheating. I think the penalty on the Pats is not out of bounds. It’s on the heavy side but within reason given that this isn’t the first time they’ve blatantly broken the rules and attempted to cover it up. I still think Brady’s punishment is out of line considering the other punishments the NFL has handed out. I think he got slapped because he seems to think he’s above reproach and the NFL decided to knock him down a few pegs.

Shooter

To get a slightly better grip on the ball. It’s the AFC Championship game in some funky weather, I’d want to grip the ball the way I like it too.

you dont go out of your way to do something you know isnt legal if it makes no difference.

And again, I don’t think he, or anyone for that matter, went out of their way to do it. He told an equipment manager to let some air out, and he did. This wasn’t an Oceans 11 heist. He didn’t hire Nicholas Cage to steal the Declaration of Independence. Lance Armstrongs doping team wasn’t consulted.

I think anyone who thinks that letting a little air out of a football constitutes as “cheating” and is a serious breach of ethics that gave a significant competitive advantage that greatly contributed to the outcome of the game is, comically insane.

I’ve never seen so many people make such a big deal out what for all intents and purposes is absolutely nothing. What’s next, are we going to sit around like a bunch of hall monitors now, nitpicking every single teeny tiny “violation” and “broken rule” that exists? Enforcing everything to the strictest letter of the law? You may as well cancel the NFL then, because no games are ever going to be played again. All that’s going to be left is a bunch of guys pointing fingers, hiring lawyers, filing grievances, and completely covering the football field with period blood.

the dude
    Participant

To get a slightly better grip on the ball. It’s the AFC Championship game in some funky weather, I’d want to grip the ball the way I like it too.

To be frank, how do you know it didn’t give Brady an advantage throwing the ball. Ice made a point about baseball and pine tar / resin.

Let’s go a different route using @Ice ‘s scenario. Do you disagree softballs and baseballs travel at different velocities?

Hue Jackson is a loser.

Ice
    Keymaster

I think anyone who thinks that letting a little air out of a football constitutes as “cheating” and is a serious breach of ethics that gave a significant competitive advantage that greatly contributed to the outcome of the game is, comically insane.

I do thinking letting a little air out of a football constitutes cheating. It’s against the rules, and the guys had to smuggle footballs into the restroom to do it. It is most definitely cheating.

It is not a SERIOUS breach of ethics, but it is a breach of ethics. He didn’t put roofies in the opposing team’s gatorade. That is a SERIOUS breach of ethics. This is a much smaller breach, but still a breach nonetheless.

Did it give him a significant competitive advantage? I dunno, probably not that much. Did it GREATLY contribute to the outcome of the game? No.

So to sum up he’s been cheating for who knows how long but not in a super major illegal way. He should be heavily fined to discourage him and others from doing it again.

Shooter

To be frank, how do you know it didn’t give Brady an advantage throwing the ball

I’ve never said it didn’t. He felt it gave him a bit better grip on the ball… hence them doing it. Obviously though it had such a little impact that after halftime when they were re-inflated, he went on to lead them to a 28-0 score with no interceptions, and even with his “doctored” football, he still put it in the arms of D’Quell.

Is it cheating? Yes, technically, its cheating. But guess what? So is Holding. That’s why there is a rule against that. Are we going to call linemen “cheaters” now every time they hold someone? I mean, it’s breaking a rule right? It’s technically cheating right? What happens if they hold and don’t get called for it? Are they SUPER cheaters then? Because basically that means that they cheated and got away with it. Is every DB that grabs a receivers shirt for a quick second a cheater? Because there’s a rule against that, and it’s illegal. That’s cheating too. It gives them an unfair competitive advantage and could affect the outcome of a game right?. Do they then get suspended for 4 games? Does the team they play for lose a 1st round draft pick? No, they get a flag and lose 10 yards. This is about the level of punishment that this fiasco should have received. A flag.

Like I’ve said, if we’re going to nitpick, let’s fucking nitpick here then. Everyone screaming about “it broke the rules, and cheating is cheating” be careful what kind of ridiculous Pandoras Box you’re really arguing in favor of here. Every team, every week, breaks rules and cheats. Period. End of Story. If you think or believe otherwise, you are an ignorant, naïve fool.

The issue here, more than anything else involved, is that people just flat-out hate New England and will do everything they possibly can to completely tear them down and destroy every shred of success they’ve ever had, and it’s lunacy. It’s jealousy. It’s poor losing and crybaby whining.

Let me ask you, if the Browns win the superbowl this year, and win the game 35-3, but it’s found out later that Johnny’s cleats were a half inch longer than what regulations allow for, should an asterisk be put next to it, and, the entire season? Should his integrity be questioned? Is he a “cheater”? Is the Superbowl then tainted?

Give me a break. This was a 15-yard flag. That’s all.

Ice
    Keymaster

Is it cheating? Yes, technically, its cheating. But guess what? So is Holding. That’s why there is a rule against that. Are we going to call linemen “cheaters” now every time they hold someone? I mean, it’s breaking a rule right? It’s technically cheating right? What happens if they hold and don’t get called for it? Are they SUPER cheaters then? Because basically that means that they cheated and got away with it. Is every DB that grabs a receivers shirt for a quick second a cheater? Because there’s a rule against that, and it’s illegal. That’s cheating too. It gives them an unfair competitive advantage and could affect the outcome of a game right?. Do they then get suspended for 4 games? Does the team they play for lose a 1st round draft pick? No, they get a flag and lose 10 yards. This is about the level of punishment that this fiasco should have received. A flag.

If Tom Brady were sitting on the sidelines with a needle deflating all the balls while his defense was on the field then he’d at least be penalized and probably ejected. The difference is that the infraction didn’t occur on the field of play. That means the league handles discipline and not the refs. And as far as the league discipline you and I both agree that it was too much.

Let me ask you, if the Browns win the superbowl this year, and win the game 35-3, but it’s found out later that Johnny’s cleats were a half inch longer than what regulations allow for, should an asterisk be put next to it, and, the entire season? Should his integrity be questioned? Is he a “cheater”? Is the Superbowl then tainted?
    Give me a break. This was a 15-yard flag. That’s all.

If he’s wearing cleats that are a full half inch longer than the league maximum (which I believe are 1 inch) and he finishes the game with two fully functioning ankles then he deserves the win. What a lousy comparison. You should be ashamed.

soup
    Participant

Well @Shooter your comparison of a 15 yard penalty for a personal foul is a reach of asinine proportions.

NE ran 42 first half plays. That’s the equivalent of 630 yards in penalties. Not 15.

Now read Marshall Faulk statements on the Pats vs Rams Super Bowl. The Rams practiced plays ONLY IN WALK THROUGB that they never did before. NE taped those walk throughs. That means this year was Super Bowl victory number 3 by way of cheating.

Name me 1 owner that wouldn’t sacrifice $1.5 million and 2 first round picks for 3 Super Bowl wins.

New England has yet to be punished. They cheat. Not one player on those teams should be in the HOF. They rigged games. It’s that simple.

Freedom!!!

Shooter

Ice…….you get my point. 1/8 of an inch then. C’mon man, you know what I’m getting at here.

Soup, you’re not hearing my point though. Ice kind of nailed it a bit because it was honestly how I thought of it when I wrote what I wrote. If he’d been on the sidelines with a needle and we all literally saw him do it, it’s not anywhere near this level of insanity. Not to mention, really man, where are we gonna draw the line?

I’m not saying he didn’t cheat, I’m saying he cheated in a “oh so fuckin what” way. And in that realm, when does it stop then? Are we investigating people and teams, and fining them millions and docking them draft picks if someone like I mentioned wore a pair of cleats that were (fuck you Ice) an 1/8th of an inch longer than the rules state? What if the team lost the game they played in? What if that team was 3-10? Does it matter then? Is it more or less? If so, how? Why?

Are we going to cast a pall over a home team if they let the grass grow out a little longer than normal because the team they are facing in 2 weeks is built on speed?

You need to be realistic and honest here when I again ask the question………you know that players, on every team in this league, and every team themselves, cheats every week right? In some capacity, in some way of saying “well, that’s a dumbass rule, and I’m not really breaking it I’m just…..” you know this right? You know that’s an absolute FACT, right? I mean, you’re a fact guy, you love your facts so, you know that that is a fact, yes?

This is why I say, where does it end then? How far down the fucking rabbit hole do we all really want to go down on this one? What if a cornerback decides not that he hates his kneepads because they slow him down, and one week he decides not to wear them and no one notices? Are we fining him then? Is he suspended for 1/4 of the season? Do we lose draft picks then? Does it matter if he gave up 2 touchdowns or locked his opponent down the entire game?

What if a coach talks into the ear of his players over the radio longer than the allotted time? (btw, happens every week, dare me on that one). In a loss.

Are we docking that team a 1st round pick and slamming their best 2 players with 4 week banishments?

You need to come to grips with the fact that what we’re dealing with here isn’t some long, protracted, pre-meditated, elaborate, sophisticated, underhanded, conniving, complex, integrity eroding, honor destroying, faith crushing, on-going and habitual conspiracy spanning two decades that now exposed awakens everyone to a red pill/blue pill matrix alter reality where everything you’ve ever been told was a lie and the universe is nothing that you ever thought it was and now that you know the truth everyone involved should be destroyed to ensure your own goddamn existence so you can feel good about saving the entire fucking species.

A guy in a bathroom let out a pound and a half of air from a fucking football. The humanity!!

I’m no expert man but, my guess is there are some things with your god of choice that you need to come to grips with because honestly, you sound insane.

soup
    Participant

Here’s what you miss. This isn’t their first offense of cheating. That’s the point. That’s why the punishment is too light.

Freedom!!!

Ice
    Keymaster

So here’s where everyone differs and the questions everyone should answer.
    1) Was the penalty handed down to Tom Brady too stiff? and
    2) Was the penalty handed down to the Patriots too stiff?

For question 1 my answer is yes. He should have been fined. Shooter I’m not clear, are you saying he shouldn’t be penalized at all?

For question 2 my answer is I don’t care. The Pats losing draft picks is in the Browns best interest so I’m happy they lost them. I don’t care if it’s fair. Like I said earlier if the league wants to dock the Broncos a 1st round pick because Peyton Manning looks weird without a shirt on then I say go for it. Until it happens to the Browns then I will throw the mother of all tantrums.

Shooter

1) Was the penalty handed down to Tom Brady too stiff?

It’s overreaction in the realm of killing a spider with a shotgun. A $10,000 fine would have sufficed.

and
    2) Was the penalty handed down to the Patriots too stiff?

See 1st answer.

Here’s what you miss. This isn’t their first offense of cheating. That’s the point. That’s why the punishment is too light.

And here’s what you miss……..you and I have wildly different views on what “cheating” is.

Shooter

To further a point as well…..I was of the opinion that the whole “spygate” thing was overblown. If only because what the Pats were doing was, at the time, something that everyone was doing. The only offense was that it became such a SOP of teams that the NFL stepped in and told everyone that they had to stop doing it. The Patriots, and especially Belicheck, got cute and tried to manipulate the wording and just kept doing it a little bit longer.

At the time I agreed with the fine and the loss of a draft pick because a rule was broken and there had to be some accountability, but to suggest that they had done something egregious or nefarious was, to me, laughable at best because again, everyone was doing it.

the dude
    Participant

To be frank, how do you know it didn’t give Brady an advantage throwing the ball

I’ve never said it didn’t. He felt it gave him a bit better grip on the ball… hence them doing it. Obviously though it had such a little impact that after halftime when they were re-inflated, he went on to lead them to a 28-0 score with no interceptions, and even with his “doctored” football, he still put it in the arms of D’Quell.

It was a 17-7 lead going into the half. The Pats then took a 24-7 lead out of the gate in the 3rd. The thing is we can argue this up and down. But I hold my position strong, when the score is this high, it results in different more aggressive play calling on both sides of the ball which also lead to opening. There is no argument that Brady is a great. But there is no doubt he had a competitive edge.

Is it cheating? Yes, technically, its cheating. But guess what? So is Holding. That’s why there is a rule against that. Are we going to call linemen “cheaters” now every time they hold someone?

All linemen have the ability to hold. Not all QB’s and wide receivers have the ability to have an advantage when it comes to a deflated ball. Your points / rant after this are moot. Again, physics should be able to prove what type of advantage there is…..I think he can throw the ball faster because of the density. That is an OPINION and has no scientific background besides my OPINION.

Hue Jackson is a loser.

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Your home for all things Cleveland Browns

Skip to toolbar